Ah, it is finally warm again and everyone wants to throw open their windows and enjoy the fresh air again. But wait, according to the FBI, home break-in is the most common threat to our homes. Over 2 million home burglaries are reported every year in the United States – about 30% of those burglaries are accomplished through an open window or an unlocked door and usually during the daytime hours when occupants are away.
It’s not surprising that the highest percentage of burglaries occur during the warmer months. Homes without security systems are more likely to be broken into than those with a home security system.
5 Tips to Secure the Windows of your Home
The following are expert-recommended tips for securing the windows of your home from break-ins and intruders:
- Secure all windows with secondary blocking devices like a wooden dowel.
- Block all open windows with a device so the window cannot be opened wider than six inches.
- Make certain someone can’t reach through the open window and dislodge the secondary blocking device.
- Make sure that your window frame cannot be easily lifted to remove the entire window.
- Install glass-break detectors integrated with your home security system in case the thief decides to employ the use of force instead.
All of the above applies to sliding glass doors, french doors, and types of glass doors as well. Glass break detectors combined with secondary blocking devices will help you enjoy the fresh air of the warmer months without the fear of someone breaking into your home.
Over 2 million home burglaries are reported every year in the United States – about 30% of those burglaries are accomplished through an open window or an unlocked door and usually during the daytime hours when occupants are away.
Windows are left unlocked and open at a much higher rate than doors are – after all, we have been taught to lock our doors. An unlocked window on the ground floor is easily accessed quickly and quietly by criminals but there are ways you can protect yourself.
About Alarmingly Affordable
Learn more about how to protect yourself from home intrusion through the windows. Call the experts at Alarmingly Affordable today. We’ve been securing homes and business on Staten Island for over 35 years.
- What to Know About Smoke Alarm Monitoring in Staten Island - January 12, 2024
- Leaving Home for the Holidays? 3 Steps to Keeping it Secure - December 11, 2023
- Tips for Thanksgiving Safety and Savings - November 13, 2023